Wednesday 25 May 2011

Week 5 - Wikis

What did you find interesting?


There are pros and cons of having an open wiki, I agree with many people that it is worrying to rely on others to provide accurate and accountable information, but on the plus side it makes the information current.


I liked the Book Lovers Wiki at the Princeton Public Library. Not only did it give a review but the hyperlink texts on the book titles links to the library's catalogue.
I couldn't resist taking a look at Wookieepedia and after seeing this I thought  I might have a look and search for other wikis and found a chocolate wiki, recipes wiki, and wikihow.






What types of applications within libraries might work well with a wiki?
The applications can be endless but some of the uses I think would be useful for my library includes:
  • the libraries procedures manual. 
  • the libraries day book that is kept at the information desk. This could be made into a wiki, where staff can update the information and all staff have access to it either at their own desk or on the public library desk.  
  •  suggestions for purchase.
  • Book reviews - books that our patrons have borrowed from the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment